Latest post Sat, Jan 4 2020 10:50 AM by Susi. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 6 2008 12:42 PM

• Filmusic
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 18 2005
    • Canada/China
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,550

Color Bars?

Will avid composer soft generate color bars? 

My project is at the start of a color correction process. I wanted to calibrate my client monitor (a 19 inch Aquos Sharp LCD)

I've used the nvidia colour bars (dell 390 with an FX550)......just thought to ask if avid generated color bars for monitor calibration purposes before I called the process done

Alien R6, i7 (7th gen) 32 gigs Ram [view my complete system specs]

Filmusic Cheers

• Wed, Feb 6 2008 1:14 PM In reply to

Re: Color Bars?

Yes, the system can create color bars. Use the import tool and navigate to:
    Program Files>Avid>Media Composer>Supporting Files>test patterns

Be sure to click on the import tool options and change color levels to 601 when importing test patterns.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 6 2008 2:06 PM In reply to

• Filmusic
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada/China
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,550

thanks (as always!) Larry!

I'm on it!

Filmusic Cheers

• Wed, Feb 6 2008 2:09 PM In reply to

You're welcome. Glad to help.
    Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 6 2008 2:49 PM In reply to

• Filmusic
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada/China
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,550

Larry, one further question...well maybe a few....

On the issue of,  import with 601 selected, with respect to my colour bars:

my final output is mulitple platform

1.  for television (both SD and HD)...and

2. DVD

...is 601 my goal...I just read a few cirular discussions on the subject (seek and you shall find) just wanted to be certain that I gave you enough info on what I'm attempting to reach as my goal(s) so this is what I have done so far

1. shot on NTSC HDV

2. Edited transcoded DNX  145

3. ran out and bought a Sharp Aquos 19 inch LCD monitor to aid in the color correction process (no $ in the budget to go to a post house on this one)

4. after struggling with several set-ups today, I have settled on pumping out one signal to my Aquos  by way of a DVI to VGA connector (when I hooked up one computer monitor from my DEll 390 computer and the TV, both by way of dvi adapters to vga cables, I got a green screen on the secondary output of my FX550 video card ...when I changed the secondary connection to a DVI-HDMI cable (which my Aquos accepts)  I just get a weak signal

When I, only attach the Aquos TV LCD to my Dell 390 FX550 main output by way of  DVI adapter to VGA - I get a usable signal strong enough to run avid and go full screen mode to check on colour corrects as I make them

So there you have it - my present working conditions

so...should I still import colour bars at 601

any thoughts or considerations on any other aspect of my workflow (constrained by way of my present set-up) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stephen

Filmusic Cheers

• Wed, Feb 6 2008 3:02 PM In reply to

If you are finishing in NTSC and delivering a final NTSC project for QC inspection, you definitely want to be 601 on the import of SMPTE color bars, or the set up waveforms will be incorrect and your product will not pass.  Hopefully, you have a waveform monitor - import bars both ways and you'll see the difference. 

All color correction and other level adjustments should always be made relative to the waveform/vectorscope display and judged on an NTSC client video monitor, NOT the source or composer window displays.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 6 2008 3:32 PM In reply to

• Filmusic
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada/China
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,550

Thanks again Larry..learning as I go.

My 19 inch Aquos LCD TV Monitor, that I ran out and bought today,...is that any help to me ...running it full screen from Avid and making looks adjustments based upon what I see (calibrated by way of the color bars that you have indicated)...

I was under the assumption that it would be better to 'look' this way toward color changes (using my LCD TV) then to eye-ball  and apply changes using only the computer monitor -  this is new territory for me..so I'm baby stepping my way through the no-post budget project that I have on the go here)   

Filmusic Cheers

• Wed, Feb 6 2008 3:52 PM In reply to

I know they're on their way out, but I've gotta tell ya, I STILL prefer CRT based broadcast monitors for making critical color correction and shading adjustments.  They can be so subtle, that in my opinion LCD monitors are not up to the task of showing fine enough detail especially in the lower half of the grey scale.  BUT, that being said, if all you can lay your hands on are LCD based, it's still better than attempting adjustments using the composer monitors.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 6 2008 4:17 PM In reply to

I've also never seen an LCD monitor that handles SD that well either.  They end up blowing up your picture to fill the screen, and it looks terrible.  So we actually use a CRT for all projects just for that reason.

Also, as Larry said, a waveform monitor & vectorscope is essential.  I am always amazed at how little people understand about the quality of a broadcast video signal.  We get stuff all the time from small post houses or one-man shops for dubbing or electronic distribution and I swear they must have never used a scope, becuase the levels are all over the place.

My two cents.
    Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Feb 6 2008 4:18 PM In reply to

• Filmusic
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada/China
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,550

My fear was running Avid fullscreen out of a DVI connector to a VGA input on my LCD client monitor (I was simply not certain if that would give me anything worthwhile to work with)....if that beats the computer monitor, then I have at least that (calibrated to the color bars you have indicated)

I'll take your lead and grab a CRT when I'm back  in Canada, I have another upcoming project that I'll be tackling the colour on

any suggestions on an affordable CRT monitor? 

Thanks again Larry, you've been a great help!

Filmusic Cheers

• Wed, Feb 6 2008 4:41 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 6 2008 5:03 PM In reply to

• Filmusic
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada/China
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,550

ebay...now I'm getting it..

Thanks!

(may just have to go $2 on that one...ha ha)

Filmusic Cheers

• Wed, Feb 6 2008 5:13 PM In reply to

Wait til the last 30 seconds of the bid window, then enter a max bid $150.00 over the existing bid - works for me every time!

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Feb 7 2008 12:35 AM In reply to

• Filmusic
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada/China
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,550

ha ha...your 'raise-em-by-$150' approach will stop the "I-only-lost-it-by-$1" syndrome that can haunt me from time to time.....fingers crossed...ha ha

Filmusic Cheers

• Thu, Feb 7 2008 9:55 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

Still 0 bids !!Big Smile

We still have such a monitor (audio suite)

It isn't underscan, but still gives acceptable results for audio post production tasks ! Has been bought in 1986, only 22 years old, my God !Big Smile

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller