Latest post Mon, Apr 14 2008 1:27 PM by AK-Jake. 66 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 9:12 PM In reply to

Re: AXP R.I.P.

Richard, the upgrade goes for 450 EUR ex VAT here in NL. Prices in the NL store were changed twice today, but 450 is the price advertised by resellers. 2350 ex VAT for MC-Soft.

Prices in the NL store are very likely to be inc VAT, but the Help mentions they are ex VAT. Marianna has already mentioned this is all being looked into.

BTW: don't see how VAT would determine your time of purchase, since you will reclaim it anyway; now or then. But that's none of my business of course ;-)

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 9:15 PM In reply to

• ben112
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 7 2007
    • Munich, Germany
    • Posts 5
    • Points 45

Even with the new prices, it would still be significantly cheaper for us in Europe to buy directly in the States (shipping is not really a factor when ordering other products at the same time). So is there anything to be said against buying Avid software in the U.S.? I know the Avid Store won't let us, but other stores will. Are there any problems regarding the EULA or upgrades of current software and dongles?
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 9:33 PM In reply to

Even with the new prices, it would still be significantly cheaper for us in Europe to buy directly in the States

Same goes for Adobe software, for example.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 21 2008 10:35 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

BTW: don't see how VAT would determine your time of purchase, since you will reclaim it anyway; now or then. But that's none of my business of course ;-)

Hi Job,

I don't see the point you are trying to make here, as the VAT is not quite part of the discussion. Dollar/Euro exchange rate is. 

---

Edit: I do see your point now, re: the benefit MC v AXP thread. Well - my argument there for the investment is being nullified by the steep price drop for the upgrade.

---

But then again - the VAT reclaim intervals are an issue when investing of course. I'd rather do that now  at the end of the 1st quarter, in stead of purchasing it at the beginning of the 2nd and paying VAT up front and having to wait 3 months before I can  reclaim it.

Edit: I see w

• Sun, Mar 30 2008 12:42 PM In reply to

• ben112
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 7 2007
    • Munich, Germany
    • Posts 5
    • Points 45

So, does anybody know the answer to my previous question?

ben112:
    So is there anything to be said against buying Avid software in the U.S.? I know the Avid Store won't let us, but other stores will. Are there any problems regarding the EULA or upgrades of current software and dongles?

Thanks...

• Mon, Apr 14 2008 10:40 AM In reply to

• Florian
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Germany
    • Posts 332
    • Points 4,140

succsessfully blasted my dongle to MC 2.8 today

AXP;  i salute you, my dear friend…its been a great time

6TB LaCie 2big, QT X, QT 7.6.6, Squeeze 8.5, BCC 8.2 MacBook Pro Retina 15", 2.5Ghz QuadCore i7, OS Mojave 10.14, Avid MC 2018.5, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 14 2008 1:27 PM In reply to

• AK-Jake
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Anchorage, AK
    • Posts 2,576
    • Points 32,130

In response to Butcher's post from the first page, about Avid making cell-phones/mp3 players, he's right on.  Apple doesn't make any money off of Final Cut Studio...that's why it's sold so cheaply.  They use it to sell their hardware (computers), and THAT is where they make money.  The iPod is what saved Apple, plain and simple.  They're a hardware company, and that's why you'll never see FCP, OSX or other great Apple applications available on PC.  The fact that they opened up their platforms to Windows was another brilliant move on their part.

Avid is the same way, only they sell niche products.  In other words, they're not selling hundreds of thousands of Mojos and Adrenalines, so they've got to charge a little more for their software.  It's unfortunate, but it's life.  And $2500 for MC is phenomenal, because 2.5 years ago, MC was a cool $25,000.  It's now a mere 10% of its former price.  Symphony Nitris is roughly 33% it's price from just a few months ago.  Pretty remarkable, I'd say.

Avid Symphony Nitris 3.x (DNA), HP xw8400, 3TB Avid Media-Array; Avid Xpress Studio HD Complete 5.1.3, HP xw8000, dual-3.06 ghz Xeon's; 2 GB of RAM;... [view my complete system specs]

When 900 years old YOU reach, look as good, YOU'LL not!!  Hmmm?

Page 5 of 5 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller