Latest post Fri, Feb 14 2020 10:15 PM by Jasper Quispel. 79 replies.
Page 2 of 6 (80 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 11 2011 10:04 PM In reply to

Re: USB/MIDI control surface and MC

I'd also be interested in this if you're willing to share it, particularly the handshaking.

My software:
    Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
    Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
    More tools...

• Wed, Oct 12 2011 2:48 PM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,190

Have sent you guys PM's.

I borrowed an iPad from a colleague today to test out Midi Touch on that.
    Without a doubt this could be amazing on an iPad. I have 8 tracks working at the moment for mixer, solo and mute. It feels easy and fast to use. The feedback from the Avid has been more dificult though, as the faders need to update when levels are different on a loaded sequence or things are changed via the mixer inside MC. Have had some success, but I'm a midi beginer (idiot) so I'm basically finding out by trial and error.

Have hit a brick wall with more than 8 audio tracks though. I guess as Media Composer thinks its connected to a Command|8 which only has 8 faders, it limits the connection to only control the first 8 tracks. Need to figure out if there is a way for more than two (virtual) controllers to be used.

Below is a still of the (very) basic layout for what we needed. The faders can be coloured and labeled to suit whatever setup. If I can figure out how to get control of up to 16 tracks, then this coud be quite useful.

I've not yet added all the other commands (from the buttons the Command|8 has, but have a tried a few and they seem to work fine).

iPad Midi Touch layout

• Wed, Oct 12 2011 7:37 PM In reply to

Wow this is exciting. I might persuade myself to by an iPad after all.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 13 2011 9:15 AM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,190

Please don't go dropping 500 notes on an iPad for this midi app, its far from complete yet!! :-)
    With a bit of help from someone who knows more about midi I think it could get there. Alternativly we could see if one of the other midi app makers can intergrate a Media Composer layout, AC-7 Core could be the right people as they already have quite a few DAW systems integrated with their app, maybe they could add an MC layout? I'll email them.

The Korg Nano also looks very useful and very good value, hopefully now we have the midi commands, that can be fully usable as well.

• Mon, Nov 7 2011 2:04 PM In reply to

• DanShirley
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 25 2010
    • Posts 9
    • Points 145

Hi there.

I've just gone straight out and bought a nanokontrol 2.  Could you tell me which mode to set it to (I have options of Cubase, Digital Performer, GarageBand/Logic, Live, Pro Tools, Sonar or CC mode.)

At the moment Slider 8 can control A1 but that's it.

Thanks in advance (i've been waiting for a control surface like this!)

Dan Shirley

Editor.

• Mon, Nov 7 2011 2:22 PM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,190

CC mode is the only that will control MC to any useful degree I think.

You can then install the Nanokontrol software and customise the CC codes if need be.

• Mon, Nov 7 2011 5:26 PM In reply to

• DanShirley
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 145

Yeah, i'm in CC mode now, I'm supposed to be working but i'm sending new 'scenes' to the controller every now and then.  I can only get track 1 to move by setting up slider one to TX on CC number 7.  Logic would dictate that track 2 would be on CC number 8, but it's not.  I've got up as far as CC80 (bypassing the ones that are already set up as other buttons/dials on the basic controller setup)

If anyone knows the CC codes for the sliders it'd make my day.

Dan.

• Mon, Nov 7 2011 5:31 PM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,190

Use CC7 for all the faders, but change the channel from 1-8.

• Mon, Nov 7 2011 5:32 PM In reply to

• DanShirley
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 145

Thanks, I just found that out.  I guess there's no luck finding out the pan channel then?

Dan.

• Mon, Nov 7 2011 5:39 PM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,190

The pan can be controlled on CC10. Works fine for all L or all R, but its very sensitive, so its not good for fine adjustments if you need that.

• Mon, Nov 7 2011 5:54 PM In reply to

• DanShirley
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 145

That's crazily uncontrollable. I'm sure the actual 002 controller doesn't do that.

I'm going to try to seek out other functions over the next few days.  Any head-starts you can give would be great.

Thanks again,

Dan.

• Mon, Nov 7 2011 6:06 PM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,190

The 002 and Command|8 do not use these standard CC codes, they use a combination of Midi CC and Midi Notes for higher resolution. I'm not sure you could program the nanokontrol to do this though and even if you could it would only work if you can get Media Composer to 'see' the nanokontrol as a Command|8 which is not possible without sending a sysex command first. This is where the iPad is so much stronger.

You could try:

CHANNEL 1, NOTE D#-1, VALUE 64 for Mute toggle on A1.
    CHANNEL 1, NOTE D-1, VALUE 64 for Solo toggle on A1.

Change the Value to 65 for A2, 66 for A3 and so on.

• Tue, Nov 8 2011 11:36 AM In reply to

• DanShirley
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 145

Yeah, I looked at the iPad controller.  I actually bought the Midi Touch software and a camera connection kit yesterday morning but couldn't get to work over the cable. (I'm working at Uncle in soho and they'd go mental if i set up a wifi connection to the Avid here).

I got a USB A to A (Male to Male) cable but the PC couldn't detect the iPad.  I dont know if you need to run it through a hub or whatever.  I gave up and bought the nanokontrol which is ok but you're right, it would be much better with virtual flying faders in the ipad version and more control using more complex CC controls - i'm thinking of ganging my music channels together maybe.

Dan.

• Tue, Nov 8 2011 11:47 AM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,190

Did you install the DS Midi Wifi software onto the PC?
    http://dsmidiwifi.tobw.net/ 

On a Mac this is not needed, but on the PC I think you have to use this with Midi Touch.
    However I don't thing DSMI supports  midi feedback - so i doubt the faders would update from Avid.

• Tue, Nov 8 2011 11:52 AM In reply to

• DanShirley
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 145

No, I wouldn't be able to use Wifi in my setup because it's not my Avid and it's only network connection is a fibre channel one.  I was hoping that when I plugged the USB cable into the PC using the iPad camera connection kit it would show up as a midi device, but no device showed up at all.

Dan.

Page 2 of 6 (80 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller