Latest post Fri, Feb 14 2020 10:15 PM by Jasper Quispel. 79 replies.
Page 5 of 6 (80 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 10 2013 3:27 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Re: USB/MIDI control surface and MC

Stephen Ellis:

Hi all, 

Great spot whoever did this back in 09. I've just managed to hack together a little program to control gain over HTTP which is very cool. This will save the space on the desk my Digi 002 was taking up!

What I'm struggling to do is read the current values from the Avid in my software. My Digi 002 is able to track the values used as a gain controller, so it's clearly possible over MIDI.  By the looks of things from previous entries in this forum, some SYSEX handshaking might be required, but I'm really struggling to snoop at the Digi 002 communication when it's running on the Avid. 

I know this thread is a bit ancient, but has anyone managed to get access to the values from the Avid by spoofing controller type?

Best, 

Steve

I "created the monster" which is this thread.  Smile

I think it was Mark Burton earlier in the thread who came up with some data but I don't know how far he got.  I wasn't able to get the data that MC expects to see for each of the control functions.

I'm interested to hear if you or anyone else learn any more about which codes control which functions in MC.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sun, Feb 10 2013 3:35 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Paddywack:

I have the BCF2000 as well and have managed to get it to control gain and pan, but would be nice to get solo, mutes and maybe fader automation to work.

nick

Flying faders would require a driver of some sort to pass the proper information (more codes) back from MC to the mixer.  The proper codes would also be required for any of the other functions (solo/mute, etc.) from the mixer to MC.  If the mixer didn't send the codes MC expects and if the mixer's parameters couldn't be edited to send the correct codes, then a driver would also be needed to send the right data to MC.  So far, I don't think anyone has come up with much of this data other than maybe Mark Burton who posted earlier in the thread.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Wed, Feb 20 2013 5:28 PM In reply to

• Petr Lom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Amsterdam
    • Posts 72
    • Points 880

hi dan - i bought a nanokontrol2 - but i have the same problem you described - i can only control track 1 with slider number 8 - how do you change that?

here is he screen grab from the nanokontrol editor - a post that replies to you says to change the channel but i am not sure what that refers to....

thanks for the advice...

media composer 8.4.4.4for MAC running on operating system yosemite OS X 10.10.5 on a macbook pro 2.3 GHz intel core i7 with 16GB RAM. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:42 PM In reply to

• Petr Lom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Amsterdam
    • Posts 72
    • Points 880

i really don't recommend the nanokontrol2 - the controls are not accurate enough for proper editing, there seems to be a time lag to the controls. i am returning it....

media composer 8.4.4.4for MAC running on operating system yosemite OS X 10.10.5 on a macbook pro 2.3 GHz intel core i7 with 16GB RAM. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 25 2013 10:12 AM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,190

Thats been my experience with the nanokontrol2 as well - bought one when I was trying all this midi stuff out and although I had it controlling levels across 8 tracks, it was very far from a usable solution. The faders are very low quality and since they are not motorized, invariably start in the wrong possition resulting in a jump in level when used.

The best solution I've come accross so far is by Robert Salsbury who has managed to get the excellent Lemur app programmed for Media Composer on the iPad:

http://blog.robertsalsbury.com/2012/08/28/hands-on-mixing-with-an-ipad-part-3-avid-lemur/

For anyone who is good at this stuff the same project could be adapted to fully emulate the Command 8 panel and this would offer midi transport controls and just about anything else that the Command 8 can do. The trick for this is in the sysex midi messages.

• Mon, Feb 25 2013 11:43 AM In reply to

HI

Although I understand that when you get the bug to solve a problem, the challenge can appear to be stronger than the actual product, I have to ask if this is still worthwhile, as Neyrincks  V-control now does all this on the ipad for less money than the nanocontrol costs??

Peter

Windows 7 Pro 64, Intel i7 3.4 ghz cpu, 32 GIG DDR3, MC 8.4.5 Pro Tools 10 & 11 [view my complete system specs]

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Mon, Feb 25 2013 12:36 PM In reply to

• Paddywack
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Winchester, England.
    • Posts 299
    • Points 3,490

V Control does look like it solves all the problems. A lot more versatile than hardware solutions as well. those iPads!

http://www.neyrinck.com/v-control-pro-media-composer#menuTopjump

Media Composer V8.8 MX02LE running Win 10 Pro 64bit on PC 12 core 3.5Ghz HP z820 with 120Gb memory, NVidia K5000 with 6Tb Sata plus Apple MacPro 15"... [view my complete system specs]

Paddywack Productions Ltd. Freelance editing in the UK

• Mon, Feb 25 2013 12:49 PM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,190

That looks great, did they just bring the out?

Sure I looked at their product before but it didn't have support for Media Composer then? Can't remember, maybe it was another midi app I was thinking of.

Great find.

• Mon, Feb 25 2013 4:25 PM In reply to

It has supported Media Composer for a few months now.

Paul Neyrink tells me he will be making a Media composer functionality video, although theres nothing there yet.

Peter

Windows 7 Pro 64, Intel i7 3.4 ghz cpu, 32 GIG DDR3, MC 8.4.5 Pro Tools 10 & 11 [view my complete system specs]

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Mon, Feb 25 2013 4:37 PM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,190

From August 2012 from the release notes. Very cool. Will give it a try.

• Mon, Feb 25 2013 8:06 PM In reply to

• Paddywack
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Winchester, England.
    • Posts 299
    • Points 3,490

Finally a reason I have to buy an iPad even though I am on a PC!

Media Composer V8.8 MX02LE running Win 10 Pro 64bit on PC 12 core 3.5Ghz HP z820 with 120Gb memory, NVidia K5000 with 6Tb Sata plus Apple MacPro 15"... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Feb 25 2013 8:51 PM In reply to

Im confused as to why the pc is relevant?

Peter

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Sat, Mar 2 2013 11:04 AM In reply to

• Paddywack
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Winchester, England.
    • Posts 299
    • Points 3,490

Only relevant in that I don't often buy Apple products (mainly 'cos they are overpriced), but since there isn't an android version of this software (at the moment) it might give me an excuse to dive in to the world of touch pad technology!

P.S. Typing this on an old MacBook Pro

• Sat, Mar 2 2013 11:05 AM In reply to

• Paddywack
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Winchester, England.
    • Posts 299
    • Points 3,490

Here is the link in case anyone missed it:

http://www.neyrinck.com/v-control-pro-media-composer#menuTopjump

• Wed, Oct 2 2013 2:36 AM In reply to

• timcode
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 29 2012
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Hello, all. I've been trying to control mute and solo from a keyboard for ages, and am getting close to a solution.

My main problem is that as a freelancer, I usually work on other people's systems, sometimes Macs, usually Windows now, on house networks without accessible wifi. This means that I can't install any software that will talk to Avid, or use any iPad options.

My plan is to use a Teensy microcontroller. This is a 1.5" programmable board which runs a simple version of C code (it's based on an Arduino development board, if you know of that). It has a USB connection, and you can set it to appear to a computer as a MIDI controller when plugged in. It also has a number of input/output pins, where you can attach buttons, knobs, sliders, LEDs, LCDs, or whatever you want. I'm planning to use a cheap 16-key matrix keypad plus a few LEDs to indicate what mode it's in. It'll look like a numeric keypad, so low-profile on the desk, and cost maybe $30 plus materials to build a case.

The best part is that it's completely programmable, so one key press can send out a number of commands, like clear mute and solo on all tracks. I'll also have a number shift, so you can select up to 20 tracks by hitting the 1-10 / 11-20 button, and keep the number of buttons down. I might add a fader or potentiometer for volume or pan control too.

Anyway, I've got most of the code down based on info from this forum, but I don't know the SysEx info for something like the Control|8. Did someone have that? The line of code looks like this: usbMIDI.sendSysEx(length, array)

Here's a link to the Teensy controller: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/index.html (MIDI info is here: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_midi.html)

Thanks!

Page 5 of 6 (80 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller