Latest post Fri, Jan 20 2006 4:05 PM by ceicilbee. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 19 2006 9:37 PM

The Move to HD...

Hubba, hubba

We've been given the directive to R&D what it would "take" to get us "up and running" in an HD environment from aquisition to something (actually media) someone can hold in their hand.

Currently running MCA v1.6 on an HP xw8200.

In addition to the DNxcel Board and the upgrade to 2.2.2, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or links to articles that'll help me learn a bit more about what's needed from the post-production/DVD creation end of this?

Your thoughtful comments are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Avid MCA V6.0.3.1 on HP z800 w/Avid Nitris DX Windows 7 - 64bit 12 gig RAM QT v7.6 Graphics Card Nvidia Quadro FX3800 Processor: Dual Quads Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 19 2006 10:56 PM In reply to

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 556
    • Points 6,735

Re: The Move to HD...

Thanks for the post Tim, we too are wondering about how it would all work, going to HD with Media Composer Adrenaline.  We too would have to purchase the DNxHD boards, new drives that are 320, a HD Deck, Monitors........

As of now we are only SD, mastering to Digital Beta, DVW-A500.  Offlines are done on unity at 15:1s, onlines at 2:1 localy. 4 MCA's 2.1 and 3 Xpress Pro's 4.6.6  I already know id have to upgrade to the 2.2.2 CPR version, and 5.1.??? on Xpress Pro, but im holding off till they are a little more stable.  Unity is a Lanshare, 6TB, 3.5.3.

I would love to hear from others who are "doing to move" to hd, and how your offline to online workflow is setup for this.  ie: project setups, digging, you guys know the flow.

Thanks in advance for the replys!

Jay

jasonsaro@hotmail.com
    jason@nancyglassproductions.com
    ISIS 5500 - 240 Tb HPZ840 - MC 8.4.5 XDCAM HD - XDCAM EX - HDCAM -- HDCAM SR [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 19 2006 11:16 PM In reply to

We made this move back in the early fall. Our current MCA HD edit suite is set up with an HP xw8200 with 4 gigs of ram and the FX1400 graphics card, 3GB switch turned on and the DNxcel Board.  We shoot on panasonic Varicam at 720p 59.94 fps, and on the Sony HDR-HC1 handycam HDV at 1080i 30fps.  We dub all the HDV stuff over via a Miranda box to DVC Pro HD at 720p.  We own one Panasonic AJ-HD1700 DVCpro HD deck. (beware that the AJ-1200 is not an EDIT deck).  We log all the DVC Pro HD tapes on a Xpress Pro Laptop running V4.0.1 and digitze it via SD composite through a canapus A/D converter into the Laptop into a SD 30i project to a Firewire drive at 15:1s.  We edit the shows either on HP xw8000 Xpress Pros running 5.2 or MCA's running 2.1.8.  Once the offline is complete we take the final sequence into a 720p project, modify, change format to 720p, decompose, re-dig Via HD SDI at DNxHD 145 to 12 U320 SCSI drives striped 12 way.  Render. and then output back to the AJ-HD1700 deck via HD SDI.  The MCA also does a great Job with Real time SD downconverts and can layoff D-beta Masters in Realtime from the HD timeline. 

We also have a teranex for upconverting SD material to DVCpro HD.  We use a Sony MEU-WXZ HD Monitor and only Hook it up to the MCA during the Online via HD SDI.

The 12 way stripe on the U 320 SCSI drives is very important. I Digitzed a few clips the other day with a 4-way stripe and I would get dropped frames every 4 o 5 minutes during digital cut to D-beta. But since it was only Promo Select footage for a Network I didn't mind.

If I left anything out just ask.

Follow me at www.twitter.com/redarrowryan Avid 1- z400 6-Core, with Nitris DX Symphony 6.0.3 Win 7 64 Bit [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 20 2006 3:10 PM In reply to

• ceicilbee
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 36
    • Points 530

we're new to the world of HD as well. i'm curious, how do you move your 30i offline SD sequence into a 720p 59.94 project? i thought you couldn't mix frame rates within a project?
  • Fri, Jan 20 2006 3:23 PM In reply to

Once the 30i project is locked edit wise, you take the master sequence and put it into a new bin. Then start a new 720p project. Copy that bin into it. Open the bin. Right click on the 30i sequence and hit modify. Choose "Set Format" and select 720p 59.94.  The avid then converts the sequence and all the clips in it 720p 59.94.   Decompose and re-capture and your HD.  for more info check out the help and search for "set format".
    Follow me at www.twitter.com/redarrowryan Avid 1- z400 6-Core, with Nitris DX Symphony 6.0.3 Win 7 64 Bit [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 20 2006 4:05 PM In reply to

• ceicilbee
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 36
    • Points 530

i recently needed to do the opposite: take a 720p 59.94 sequence and set format to 30i in an SD project, but it didn't give me that option. did i miss something?
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller