Latest post Tue, Jan 24 2006 9:00 AM by Brian Suttie. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 23 2006 10:55 PM

Using Extenders

We are looking at remodeling our facility and are interested in pursuing moving all CPUs and I/Os (a mix of PC Adrenaline and Mac Meridian) from the edit suites to our machine room. Has anyone had luck using extenders for monitor & keyboard, and running audio cabling for speakers?

We're looking at maximum lengths and any issues you may have found.

Thanks in advance!
    Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jan 24 2006 9:00 AM In reply to

• Brian Suttie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 917
    • Points 11,570

Re: Using Extenders

We are currently using two different extenders on PC Adrenalines (HP XW8000s).

Gefen 6000 carries two monitors, USB, RS 232 and audio over three CAT5 cables.  Video quality is excellent, you wouldn't know you had the extender on.  Keyboard / Mouse plugs into the USB via an adapter, again works very well.  We don't use the RS 232 as all the VTR remote patching is in the machine room.  The only weak point with the Gefen is the audio, even for just monitoring the PC audio out it's pretty unuseable.  It seems to have a noise gate in it which comes in and out with a thump.  Would suggest that you run audio separately.

Adderlink Dual carries two monitors, keyboard and mouse over two CAT5 cables. After an initial problem with a  green / pink shadow half way across the frame which was cured by a firmware upgrade video quality is again very good, keyboard and mouse no issues.  Lack of USB is an issue as it makes it harder to add a CD drive in the suite.

We are only running about 50metres on the longest run but you should be able to go much further than that.  I wouldn't want to run speaker cables for that length, but you should be able to run line level balanced audio to powered speakers using decent cabling  with no issues.

HTH

Brian

"We'll fix it in post"
    "This is post"
    "aaaahh"

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller