Latest post Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:33 AM by OliverPeters. 71 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 11 2010 11:36 PM

• grafixjoe
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hurricane Alley
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,860

Media Composer 5 is coming...ProRes / H.264 / R3D Support!!

Long time no see guys!  Wow is all I can say...it is about time!! Yes Yes Yes

For the first time in 7 years, I am looking into upgrading my old Avid Software on my Macs because MC5 will now be editing NATIVELY in ProRes and H.264...the only formats in my world that I have been using for years. Very exciting times for Avid to see this need and fulfill it. It is the talk of the Final Cut Pro Community. Will help Avid in the sales department - no doubt. Makes me want to talk about Avids again  Smile

What are your thoughts?

HOME STUDIO: Macbook Pro 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB RAM / AMD Radeon HD 6750M / OS 10.6.8. / Apple Final Cut Studio / Adobe Production Premium CS6 ... [view my complete system specs]

Joey Morelli

Senior Video Editor / Compositor

EA Sports

www.easports.com

"IMAGINATION is EVERYTHING. It is the preview to life's Coming Attractions" - Albert Einstein

• Sun, Apr 11 2010 11:46 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer 5 is coming...ProRes / H.264 / R3D Support!!

Please go to this thread and comment there.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 1:07 AM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,555

Worth posting on this site, Larry, because on the MC/PC site you linked to, they're talking Windows 7, etc.

Will the June release be for Mac OS too?  Will the Mac version also work with the Matrox MSO2 Mini?

It's all very exciting (I'm thrilled that AVCHD will import directly), but I'm surprised. We're only at 4.0.5!!!

I'm not complaining, because the new features are worth paying for, but I'm still a bit surprised.  Does anyone know how much the upgrade for v.4 to v.5 will be?

Malcolm 

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 12 2010 1:27 AM In reply to

Malcolm:

No upgrade path or pricing has been announced yet. Please watch for Avid official announcements on the subject.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 1:31 AM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

On the info page it says that if you upgrade to 4.x right now, it'll be a free upgrade. So that's a 3 or 4 hundred dollar upgrade in the states for most folks. Not bad. I have two dongles, only one of which is upgraded to 4.x, so the other one will be getting the upgrade first thing tomorrow!

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 12 2010 1:32 AM In reply to

Good idea, Chris. I suggest that others running 3.x considering upgrading do the same thing.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 5:38 AM In reply to

• grafixjoe
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hurricane Alley
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,860

Why are you redirecting me to a PC forum Larry? I wouldn't use a PC if it was given to me for free! I would like to discuss Avid on Macs which is my platform of choice. This discussion should be continued on the Mac Forum, IMHO. Please let this continue here.

HOME STUDIO: Macbook Pro 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB RAM / AMD Radeon HD 6750M / OS 10.6.8. / Apple Final Cut Studio / Adobe Production Premium CS6 ... [view my complete system specs]

Joey Morelli

EA Sports

www.easports.com

"IMAGINATION is EVERYTHING. It is the preview to life's Coming Attractions" - Albert Einstein

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:03 AM In reply to

Been a real long time Joe.  How's Florida?

Good to see you passion for Mac's is a strong as ever.

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 1:54 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,555

http://www.avid.com/US/press-room/Avid-Raises-Bar-with-New-Editing-Systems

As Larry says, there's no official release date or upgrade path announced yet.  I take from the Avid announcements, though, that MC5 (wasn't there a band with that name in the 60s?) will work with the Matrix MX02 Mini on Mac as well as PC, which I think is good news. Actually, it all seems to be good news.  Unless those PC/MC-users (who are raving about this upgrade in the 7 pages of their PC forum) are less critical than us Mac types.  

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 12 2010 3:06 PM In reply to

grafixjoe:
    Why are you redirecting me to a PC forum Larry?

Joe, I redirected this thread to try to consolidate responses on MC 5 instead of having multiple duplicative threads on the same subject. There can be too much clutter trying to sort through almost identical multiple threads.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 3:16 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

This is an amazing update and I'm surprised that a lot of the Audio enhancements haven't been touted more. We now have the ability to work in stereo audio pairs and we can now layer audio effects! There are a lot of other Audio enhancements in this release due to Digidesign's deep involvement in the development of this release so look for those as well. Not to mention the new acquisition of Euphonix, we'll have a bunch of new control surfaces to play with soon.

The Mac version will be released at the same time and there will be feature parity between the PC and Mac including the support for the MX02. Pricing and upgrade paths will be announced soon so hang on for that.

Wait until you guys get your hands on the new timeline. The question is quickly becoming "What CAN'T you do with it!".

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 6:14 PM In reply to

• grafixjoe
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hurricane Alley
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,860

Hiya Todd & Andrew!! Florida is still floating and I'm still on it!! Got a much beter gig @ EA SPORTS. Yeah Todd...this does look to be a major announcement and you know me...if it benefits the Mac, I MUST INVESTIGATE!!

Is the new timeline gonna be drag & drop?

Where's the rest of my old friends? Tommy Asakawa?!?! You guys may see more of me if this new MC5 is as good as it looks to be  Smile

Joey Morelli

EA Sports

www.easports.com

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 6:20 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Hi Joey! Yep, drag and drop, full direct manipulation. This is only the first phase of the roll out but it's a great start out of the box!

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 6:46 PM In reply to

• grafixjoe
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hurricane Alley
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,860

Hey Todd...does MC5 include support for capture devices from AJA (Kona Series / IO HD) & Blackmagic? Are those ProRes / H.264 files gonna have Avid proprietary code on then that only Avid hardware can read?

Awsome - looks promising man. Wonder what the upgrade path will be from my old Express Pro 5.8 / dongle - lol.

Joey Morelli

EA Sports

www.easports.com

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:02 PM In reply to

grafixjoe:

Awsome - looks promising man. Wonder what the upgrade path will be from my old Express Pro 5.8 / dongle - lol.

According to the Web Store - Xpress Pro to MC4 - $495.

Upgrade from MC4 to MC5 if MC4 is purchased on or after today - FREE.

3rd party bundles upgrades(assuming new bundles with v5)... Well, that's something we'll have to wait and see.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

Page 1 of 5 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller