Latest post Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:33 AM by OliverPeters. 71 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 19 2010 12:37 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer 5 is coming...ProRes / H.264 / R3D Support!!

Andrew31:

Please just tell me that MC5 will support mac pro 3,1 2x2.8 quad-core xeon!  I've been trying to save up for mc 4 and now this!  I just don't want to have to buy a new mac pro.  Those things are friggin' expensive!

MC 5 System Requirements In the Mac listing, click on "see details".

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 19 2010 1:30 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

Andrew31:

Please just tell me that MC5 will support mac pro 3,1 2x2.8 quad-core xeon!  I've been trying to save up for mc 4 and now this!  I just don't want to have to buy a new mac pro.  Those things are friggin' expensive!

MC 5 System Requirements In the Mac listing, click on "see details".

When you click those details, you get a link to an MC4 pdf.

Apple Macintosh Specifications for Avid Media Composer v4.0.x January 2010.pdf

(apparently, they never did qualify the 2.8 2xQC Xeon 2.8...?)

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 19 2010 3:13 PM In reply to

• samvideoman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 9 2006
    • Virginia
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,220

Does anyone know if MC5 will ship with the ProRes Codecs, or will i need FCP installed in order to access the family of ProRes codecs? also there are a bunch of Apple codecs that come with FCP, will AVID ship with those in order for me to work other FCP projects or will i just have access to ProRes? Very exciting stuff!!!

Avid Media Composer Software v3 running on MacBook Pro. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 19 2010 3:22 PM In reply to

samvideoman:
    Does anyone know if MC5 will ship with the ProRes Codecs, or will i need FCP installed in order to access the family of ProRes codecs?

You will need to acquire the ProRes codecs yourself.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Apr 19 2010 3:24 PM In reply to

samvideoman:
    Does anyone know if MC5 will ship with the ProRes Codecs, or will i need FCP installed in order to access the family of ProRes codecs? also there are a bunch of Apple codecs that come with FCP, will AVID ship with those in order for me to work other FCP projects or will i just have access to ProRes?

ProRes decoder comes with the latest version of Quicktime. I think Apple added it in QT 7.6  - might be even earlier.

Encoding portion of the codec will require FCP installed in the system. Regarding distribution of other codecs, I'm sure Avid has no power over it. Remember that these are licensed properties.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 19 2010 6:04 PM In reply to

• Andrew31
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 13 2009
    • Posts 13
    • Points 165

Thanks for the replies Job the Burg .  I know that BlkDog has the same machine as I do , but he might have upgraded...  I believe he is testing MC5, but I can't be sure.  He was the one who told me my machine was fine for MC4 as he was running it on said machine.  If BLKDOG says the same thing here, I'll be cool.

• Mon, Apr 19 2010 7:15 PM In reply to

I'm willing to bet that you are going to be more than fine for MC5.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 19 2010 9:29 PM In reply to

All sounds fantastic- can't wait to wrap up this FCP project (hoping and praying that its media management shortcomings don't leave us up the river)...

It says 'support for MX02 mini"- I have the MX02 LE, which is great... any ideas if it's supported as well?

MacPro, 10.7.5, MC 6.5.4.2 MacBook Pro, 10.8.5, MC 7.0.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 19 2010 10:01 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

It's not in that we did not test it but, if it works, give a shout out here. I do know that the drivers we use are mini specific though.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 12:10 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

If it doesn't work maybe matrox could make it work with a new driver that could disable the SDI i/o to keep Avid happy.

• Sat, Apr 24 2010 12:13 AM In reply to

Here are the details on upgrades and pricing in this post from Marianna.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:33 AM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

Joey,

Can I laugh now ??!!

RED performance... What I saw at NAB was RT playback of R3D files in yellow-green mode. Full green choked. Maybe about 1fps. However, video at yellow-green was good looking. If you do mainly RED, it's going to be a toss-up between MC5 and Premiere Pro CS5. BTW - ARRI also has a RAW plug-in ready for Avid for the Alexa.

ProRes - lots of folks on the NAB floor touting new Avid-compatibilty soley because of QT via AMA. This included both AJA and Cineform. Theoretically if you are in the file-absed world, you could record to a KiPro, mount the drive on your computer and open those files in MC5 via AMA. In this scenario, output only from the MXO2 Mini would suffice. Likewise, if you also have FCP installed, you could ingest via FCP. Maybe also with Premiere Pro CS5.

Cheers,

Oliver

Page 5 of 5 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller