Latest post Sat, Feb 19 2011 5:20 PM by Larry Rubin. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 26 2010 4:20 PM

• Andy_AK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • St Albans, UK
    • Posts 119
    • Points 1,560

Snapshot equivalent in MC5

Just a very quick question - is there an equivalent to doing a one click "snapshot" of a frame on the timeline or source viewer video in MC5?

Many thanks

Andy

Intel i7 950,12GB DDR3 RAM (1600),AsusP6TDdeluxe, Nvidia Quadro FX1800,Sys 500GB WD Black (Win 7 Prof), Video/export HDD-3x1TB Samsung F3, Media/Music... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 26 2010 5:21 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Re: Snapshot equivalent in MC5

Not sure I follow the question.

Do you want a screen shot, or do you want a still of the source in the timeline?

If you want a still, is that to cut into the timeline or to use elsewhere?

You can make a freeze frame of any source and edit it in the timeline.

You can export a still in several file formats by parking on a frame and selecting export, then setting it to graphic and adjust as wanted.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Sat, Jun 26 2010 7:51 PM In reply to

• Andy_AK
    • Not Ranked
    • St Albans, UK
    • Posts 119
    • Points 1,560

The "snapshot" button in liquid allowed you to send a copy of a frame on the timeline to a folder/bin in the project window to use on the timeline. It was possible to have a snapshot button associated with the timeline and also a separate one associated with the source viewer - basically by clicking on the snapshot icon a clip (named "snapshot") was placed in a bin/folder in the project window corresponding to the timeline frame.The properties of the snapshot clip produced are governed by the parameters used for image import - I had mine setup to give any image or snapshot a duration of 12 seconds.  There was a different function for freeze frame in liquid.

I guess my question was whether there was a "one click" method that would export a frame from the timeline (or source viewer) into a bin and create a clip of defined length. My aim is to add the clip back to the timeline and apply a 2D scale and border effect.

Not sure if this is any clearer!!

Regards

Andy

Intel i7 950,12GB DDR3 RAM (1600),AsusP6TDdeluxe, Nvidia Quadro FX1800,Sys 500GB WD Black (Win 7 Prof), Video/export HDD-3x1TB Samsung F3, Media/Music... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 26 2010 8:16 PM In reply to

Andy_AK:
    I guess my question was whether there was a "one click" method that would export a frame from the timeline (or source viewer) into a bin and create a clip of defined length.

Not exactly one click, but if you park on a frame in the source viewer, you can then go to the clip menu, pull down to "freeze frame", pull out to the length of time you want, and choose an appropriate field option. If the image is static, choose "both fields". If there is movement in the image, choose "interpolated field". A clip of that frame for the chosen duration will be created and placed in the bin and the source monitor when completed.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jun 26 2010 10:02 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,168
    • Points 217,510
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

As already pointed out, the Freeze-Frame function is used in MC.
    Here is a little more visual description of the function.

Not 1-click, but still workeable.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Jun 27 2010 2:11 AM In reply to

Larry Rubin:
    go to the clip menu, pull down to "freeze frame", pull out to the length of time you want, and choose an appropriate field option

It can be one click if you map it to your keyboard (Menu to Button mapping)

SHIFT+PageUp gives me a 10 sec Freeze Frame every time.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jun 27 2010 12:31 PM In reply to

• Andy_AK
    • Not Ranked
    • St Albans, UK
    • Posts 119
    • Points 1,560

Many thanks everyone - I was able to use freeze frame to get what I want. Thanks for the tip about keyboard mapping sounds just the thing I need.

Kind regards

Andy

• Wed, Jun 30 2010 10:05 PM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 9 2006
    • Southwestern part of US
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,715

Any way to create an icon that will do the same thing as a keyboard shortcut...?

Liquids one click on the icon is REEEALLY convenient....

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Jun 30 2010 10:32 PM In reply to

Joe M:

Any way to create an icon that will do the same thing as a keyboard shortcut...?

Liquids one click on the icon is REEEALLY convenient....

Are you asking if you can assign a button to be the Freeze Frame command from the menu?  If so, then yes.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Jun 30 2010 10:37 PM In reply to

And you would use the "menu to button" mode of the command palette to do it.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jun 30 2010 11:17 PM In reply to

• LewS
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    • Posts 10,277
    • Points 132,650
    • Moderator: MCA PC

I think Joe is looking to create an icon on the timeline toolbar similar to the snapshot icon (looks like a camera) in Liquid. Clicking on that icon creates a BMP file of the video frame at the location of the scrubber on the timeline and puts it into the currently active bin. There is no eqivalent icon in MC and you can't create one. It was one of the very nice features of Liquid and maybe it can be included in MC for a future version.

3.15GHz E8500 CPU, Intel MB w P35 chipset, 4GB memory, Pioneer DVD burner, onboard audio, nVidia Quadro FX1700 512MB , 2TB (4 x 500GB) Raid 0 on Vantec... [view my complete system specs]

LewS

• Thu, Jul 1 2010 5:28 AM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 9 2006
    • Southwestern part of US
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,715

Yep... LewS... that is what I hoping for... or at least something less archaic and complicated-ish as the AVID approach...

You guys who never used Liquid... you would really LOVE a one click (or mapped key) that copied the frame you were looking at in either active monitor... and put it in the projects active bin as it's own pic file...

... So far... my experience with AVID is that almost every simple edit takes multiple keystrokes to achieve the simplists of results.... (what little I experience I have had with MC4 -... haven't gotten my key for MC5 ...- yet)there is definately does not seem to have a lot of efficiency built into AVID... BUT... it does seem to do a lot... it is just that the road to getting a lot done always seems to be from the longest route.

(just a first impression - so far)

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Jul 1 2010 6:25 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 509
    • Points 6,530

Joe I wouldn't argue with that point but MC 5 is a step in the right approach in making things quicker or more one step in MC. There will be things you miss in Liquid but there will be things you love in MC. Would love to see them get hitched and have a kidBig Smile

• Thu, Jul 1 2010 3:07 PM In reply to

Joe M:

... you would really LOVE a one click (or mapped key) that copied the frame you were looking at in either active monitor... and put it in the projects active bin as it's own pic file...

... So far... my experience with AVID is that almost every simple edit takes multiple keystrokes to achieve the simplists of results....  BUT... it does seem to do a lot... it is just that the road to getting a lot done always seems to be from the longest route.....

I miss a lot of shortcuts, including assigning to  the ALT +/ or CTRL keys.  Sometimes it is hard to do things "the MC way" when you are looking for those combo key shortcuts and they are just not there.  This forum helps a bunch and thankfully there are many seasoned MC users willing to listen and with helpful suggestions. The road does seem a bit steep.  After a while though MC and Liquid are not that far different - except for those few issues that keep poppin up.  I second whoever said it would be neat to see MC and Liquid get together and have a kid.

Dell m4600, i7-2820qm, nvidia Quadro 2000M, driver 8.17.12.6696, 16gRam, Win7Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 15 2011 12:30 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

I just tried this, and the 'Freeze Frame' key, Clip Menu,  is greyed out, no matter what I do (selecting clip, making it active, marking it etc etc).

Now what?

Or perhaps that should be "Now what am I doing wrong?" Huh?

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller