Latest post Wed, Sep 15 2010 8:57 PM by Miles166. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:50 AM

• Miles166
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 4 2010
    • Posts 12
    • Points 120

DVD burning

Hi,

To start it off right away, I am a student, and very new to all of this. I am especially new to a program as big as Avid. I have just finished my first project with Avid, and are ready to put it on dvd. I tried using the software that came with Avid - Avid DVD by Sonic v6.1. However, I have been having a little trouble using it. I created a menu, then put my project in the titles. I'm not even sure if it was supposed to go in the titles. I thought it would be the playlists, but it would not let me put it in my playlist unless I had something in the title, so I thought "What's the point. I might as well just put it in the title, and be done with it." It's a short form project, and I have no chapter points of any kind.

So, I did that, and of course when I burned it, and it was all done and ready to play it was all in 4:3 format instead of 16:9. Then, I tried to change the format back to 16:9 in Avid DVD by Sonic, but it made it so that it became a box in the middle of the screen.

I'm not sure if what I'm saying is even making sense. As I am sure is apparent, I am not yet, a very "technical" person, and am learning from ground zero. The point is that I am just trying to burn a DVD of my project, and I just want to know the best way of going about doing this.

Also, as I said before: I am not very "technical". So, simplifying things as much as possible is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Fri, Sep 10 2010 2:04 AM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,568
    • Points 20,565

Re: DVD burning

Miles,

I would encourage you to watch Douglas Bruces Tutorials on Media Composer.  There is a whole series of them on how to use AvidDVD. (BTW you should be using version 6.1.1 which can be downloaded from the Avid website.)  The series of tutorials will walk you thru the entire process of getting the proper files out of MC and importing them to AvidDVD and through the burn process.

Denny

Media Composer 7.0.4, BCC 9.0.2.357, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Red 5.5.2.1382, Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:26 AM In reply to

• Miles166
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 120

Thank you very much for your reply. The advice was great, and I am learning a lot from Mr. Bruce's tutorials. However, I am finding that whenever I export, it changes the format to what looks like 4:3 instead of 16:9. Are there any thoughts on why it might be doing this?

Thanks

• Wed, Sep 15 2010 2:00 AM In reply to

Miles166:
    I am finding that whenever I export, it changes the format to what looks like 4:3 instead of 16:9.

Forgive me if this is stating the obvious, but when you export to Avid DVD, what settings are you using?  If you are exporting as a QT Ref, make sure the dimensions are set to a 16:9 aspect ration in your export dialog box.  

System 1: MC 7.0.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro 4000, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Wed, Sep 15 2010 8:57 PM In reply to

• Miles166
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 120

Well, it was set on native dimensions before, but when I switched it to 16:9 square pixels, it wouldn't play the video when i tried to simulate it in Avid DVD. It comes up with "file path not found - 10010".

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller