Latest post Sun, Sep 26 2010 5:54 PM by adreedy. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 26 2010 4:17 PM

• adreedy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 24 2010
    • Posts 15
    • Points 205

mapping keyboard shortcuts

hello,

I'm new to avid, and i'm starting to do a little customizing of the keyboard for some moves I'm going to do a lot. I am coming from Final Cut, so a few commands I'd like to make the same just to save on brain space. One thing I can't figure out is how to change key commands with modifiers. For example, when the keyboard window is open, and you use the command palette to find the command you want, and you drag it to whatever key you want to use. What I'm not understanding is how to get away from non modified keyboard view and see what my options are for shift+key or apple+key. I'm sure there's a way to modify these as well, however I don't know how. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 4:24 PM In reply to

Re: mapping keyboard shortcuts

Unfortunately, Avid doesn't allow you to change any of the CMD+ modifiers.  But you can hold SHIFT while in your Keyboard settings and you'll see the Shift level so you can map those. 

You can also create multiple keyboard settings (highlight the Setting in the list and press CMD+D) so depending on what you're doing you can have different options/combos available.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 4:34 PM In reply to

• adreedy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 205

Thanks. I noticed there were (in the command palette) pieces to drop option and control modifiers on top of key commands, however I'm either doing it wrong or it doesnt work how i think it does, as I tried to drop control on top of an existing command and the new combo doesn't work, but neither does the original command.

i'm just starting to grasp this concept of different key commands for different modes. its cool, just don't get it yet!

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 4:39 PM In reply to

• adreedy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 205

another thing i can't find and love to use is moving clips in the timeline without the mouse. what i mean is either having a key that can move the clip left or right when tapped (in fcp if a clip is selected you can hit [ or ] to move it one frame in either direction, or 10 frames while holding shift). Also there is a move to essentially type in an amount of seconds/frames for a clip to more in the timeline back or forward that distance. does anyone know the similar commands in avid? i feel like avid's got to have most or more of the options, i just can't find them as easily. thanks!

austin

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 5:00 PM In reply to

adreedy:
    I noticed there were (in the command palette) pieces to drop option and control modifiers on top of key commands, however I'm either doing it wrong or it doesnt work how i think it does, as I tried to drop control on top of an existing command and the new combo doesn't work, but neither does the original command.

I didn't want to mention that in my earlier response for fear of overwhelming you.  But, essentially some commands have an "alternate" behavior and so by adding those modifiers to the key command you're telling Avid use the "alt" by default and when you hold the modifier and hit that key, use the original behavior.  Basically it switches them around.

adreedy:
    having a key that can move the clip left or right when tapped (in fcp if a clip is selected you can hit [ or ] to move it one frame in either direction, or 10 frames while holding shift). Also there is a move to essentially type in an amount of seconds/frames for a clip to more in the timeline back or forward that distance.

If you have a clip selected, you can hit the m or / key to move backwards/forwards 10 frames and the , or . keys to move back/fwd by 1 frame.  (those can be remapped also, I'm just giving you the default location)

To move a clip by an entered duration, I don't think exists the way it does in FCP.  You can move your playhead by an entered duration by typing into the Composer window the same way you would in FCP (ie, +100) for one second, Mark In or Out.  Then use the mouse to grab the clip and move it to the line or In/Out mark.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 5:09 PM In reply to

• adreedy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 205

Kenton.VanNatten:

I didn't want to mention that in my earlier response for fear of overwhelming you.  But, essentially some commands have an "alternate" behavior and so by adding those modifiers to the key command you're telling Avid use the "alt" by default and when you hold the modifier and hit that key, use the original behavior.  Basically it switches them around.

still a little confused there, but i'll play with it. being able to hold shift and get a new more open keyboard for mapping specific stuff works well though for now.

Kenton.VanNatten:

If you have a clip selected, you can hit the m or / key to move backwards/forwards 10 frames and the , or . keys to move back/fwd by 1 frame.  (those can be remapped also, I'm just giving you the default location)

To move a clip by an entered duration, I don't think exists the way it does in FCP.  You can move your playhead by an entered duration by typing into the Composer window the same way you would in FCP (ie, +100) for one second, Mark In or Out.  Then use the mouse to grab the clip and move it to the line or In/Out mark.

that works for me also. in fcp i rarely select a clip and type in a TC location or specific frames to move. its mostly if something slides out of sync. Most of what i'll be doing in avid is syncing, so i just wanted an option if I miscalculate with the in/out points when doing autosync, and want to move them a frame or two in either direction to correct the mistake.

as far as syncing goes, i am still wondering about the best way to do this. I was given a short list to do autosyncing, but i noticed that when "viewing" an audio track in the browser, when scrubbing frame by frame the audio is distorted to reflect playing slower, thereby altering the pitch and it confuses me as to what i'm hearing. as a result its harder to find the start of the clapper for syncing. is there a way to scrub with realtime audio, or does scrubbing in Avid always have that pitch shift for the speed? 

I suppose if there's a better way than i'm doing to work with sycing dalies that's my real question. thanks again!

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 5:25 PM In reply to

adreedy:

if something slides out of sync. Most of what i'll be doing in avid is syncing, so i just wanted an option if I miscalculate with the in/out points when doing autosync, and want to move them a frame or two in either direction to correct the mistake.

For that type of moving, I'd actually use Slip Trim.  It's the Trim mode that has single rollers on the inside of the clip at both ends. 

I'd have to dig into the settings to see about the audio scrubbing.  But, I can't ever recall having issue with not being able to hear what I wanted.

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 5:31 PM In reply to

• adreedy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 205

I'm going to try working with the slip trim to see what I can do. Assuming I've autosunc a clip and when I pull the new subclip into the timeline and I notice its out of sync, how do I create a new clip, or fix the old one from there? if I use the slip tool to move the audio/video a frame over, how do i then trim the ends and make that clip the master I want? In FCP you can just select it and choose "make independent clip", does avid have a similar function?

I think everything will be clearer when I'm working on something. For some reason its harder to just pull random footage into a project and try to learn the software than if I have a specific set of things to do, its a better way to learn a workflow I think. Thanks for the tips.

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 5:34 PM In reply to

adreedy:
    when scrubbing frame by frame the audio is distorted to reflect playing slower, thereby altering the pitch and it confuses me as to what i'm hearing. as a result its harder to find the start of the clapper for syncing. is there a way to scrub with realtime audio, or does scrubbing in Avid always have that pitch shift for the speed? 

There are two ways to audio scrub on the timeline, both with CAPS LOCK turned on. Holding down the K key and pressing either "L" or "J" will play the timeline forward or backward at 1/10 speed with correspondingly slow audio. Using the cursor left and right keys will digital audio scrub the contents at a normal pitch. The audio track control buttons (far right circular button on the MC 5 enhanced audio tools), determines which 2 tracks are active for digital audio scrubbing.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 5:39 PM In reply to

adreedy:
    I'm going to try working with the slip trim to see what I can do. Assuming I've autosunc a clip and when I pull the new subclip into the timeline and I notice its out of sync, how do I create a new clip, or fix the old one from there?

When sync sound clips go out of sync, you will notice a black underline added to the related clips and a number indicating how many frames out the error is. You can use slip function to restore that amount, or you can use the match frame button from either the audio or the video part of that clip to reload the original source clip in sync from the parked frame in the sequence monitor for replacement into the timeline, with sync restored. Also, as Kenton mentioned, while highlighted in segment mode, you can use the single frame trim controls to nudge a clip frame by frame in either direction.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 5:39 PM In reply to

adreedy:
    how do I create a new clip, or fix the old one from there? if I use the slip tool to move the audio/video a frame over, how do i then trim the ends and make that clip the master I want?

Fix it, then hit the "Subclip" icon, (this actually makes a Subsequence when you do it from a Sequence).  Then choose AutoSync from the clip menu.  This should now create a new clip for you. 

adreedy:
    I think everything will be clearer when I'm working on something. For some reason its harder to just pull random footage into a project and try to learn the software than if I have a specific set of things to do

I totally agree, I'm in the same boat with FCP.  I'd rather work on a project and figure out little things here and there.

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 5:42 PM In reply to

• adreedy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 205

Kenton.VanNatten:

adreedy:
    how do I create a new clip, or fix the old one from there? if I use the slip tool to move the audio/video a frame over, how do i then trim the ends and make that clip the master I want?

Fix it, then hit the "Subclip" icon, (this actually makes a Subsequence when you do it from a Sequence).  Then choose AutoSync from the clip menu.  This should now create a new clip for you. 

adreedy:
    I think everything will be clearer when I'm working on something. For some reason its harder to just pull random footage into a project and try to learn the software than if I have a specific set of things to do

I totally agree, I'm in the same boat with FCP.  I'd rather work on a project and figure out little things here and there.

Very Helpful! Thanks.

Larry Rubin:

When sync sound clips go out of sync, you will notice a black underline added to the related clips and a number indicating how many frames out the error is. You can use slip function to restore that amount, or you can use the match frame button from either the audio or the video part of that clip to reload the original source clip in sync from the parked frame in the sequence monitor for replacement into the timeline, with sync restored. Also, as Kenton mentioned, while highlighted in segment mode, you can use the single frame trim controls to nudge a clip frame by frame in either direction.

Thanks Larry, that's helpful. I didn't realize having caps on would make anything chance, as it basically disables playback in fcp ( i think...never mess with it). I'll apply that to the audio scrubbing and see what i get.

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 5:54 PM In reply to

• adreedy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 205

Kenton.VanNatten:

so i tried this, and the autosync function is greyed out. I selected the particular part of the clip in the timeline via in/out points, then made a subclip (created a sequence like you said with only that clip in it.) but when I have the sequence selected in the bin the autosync function isn't allowed, how do i then pull the "new" clip from that subsequence and have a new sunc clip?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller