Latest post Wed, Jan 2 2013 11:02 PM by joshdvx. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 1 2010 8:11 AM

• halo_bone
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 25 2009
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,735

Debug forum layout in Chrome

Just a friendly heads up.  :)

Chrome's been out for a while, is ever growing popularity wise, the bugs always been there, & I'm constantly copy/pasting the address bar into Internet Explorer (which I don't use for anything else) to read Avid's forums properly formatted onto more than 1/3 of the page.

I've included screenshot to show what I mean:

Just a little annoyance I want to make sure the admins know about & hopefully can get fixed.

Thnks!

- wb

desky: Win10 (2x)8cXeons 72GB mc8.4.5 // lappy: Win10 i7 16GB mc8.4.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 23 2011 4:30 AM In reply to

• halo_bone
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,735

Re: Debug forum layout in Chrome

Another screenshot, since the forums cut this one off.

IE and Chrome side by side.

Since I only use Chrome, having all this wasted space on Avid's forums & having to switch browsers (and re-login) all the time is really a pain.

Avid's web developers heads up, need to debug for multiple browsers.

Best,

- wb

desky: Win10 (2x)8cXeons 72GB mc8.4.5 // lappy: Win10 i7 16GB mc8.4.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 23 2011 6:53 PM In reply to

• joshdvx
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 551
    • Points 6,640

Here ya go Avid, I use chrome daily as well and would love to see a fix, so I fixed it for you, now implement it! :) Currently the code in the header of all the forum pages is (It's Line 25): #CommonSidebarLeft {   padding-right:13px;   width:auto; } It should be an exact number: #CommonSidebarLeft {   padding-right:13px;   width:925px; } This shouldn't effect your other pages since you're already setting an exact number on the /forums/ index page which is linking to a different css page than the one where the bug exists: #CommonSidebarLeft {     floatleft;     padding0 0 0 13px;     width667px; } Fwd to your web guy, I tested the fix in Firefox 4 and Chrome and it works great, have him test in safari and IE, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Interested in learning Media Composer? In NYC? I teach Media Composer classes tailored for reality tv assistant editors. http://joshluddeni.com [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 23 2011 7:01 PM In reply to

• halo_bone
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,735

awesome Josh!

I can't wait to see the forums working properly in the now second most popular browser.

- wb

• Thu, Jun 23 2011 7:03 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,156
    • Points 217,355
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Will submit to the web engineering team for review.

Thanks Josh,

-AK

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jun 23 2011 8:03 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Second or third me on this. I too like Chrome, but find the Avid forum issue a huge hassle.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 5 2012 12:39 AM In reply to

• joshdvx
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 551
    • Points 6,640

OK...

On both Chrome and Safari the actual post view is really starting to be annoying. It's been this way for a while now.  Any ETA on a fix? 

I posted on how to fix this and it never was fixed, I'll even volunteer to program the fixes myself.

Someone email me a zip to the css and post template aspx files and I'll go in and change what needs to be changed and can email them back for verification and bug checking and someone can post them to the server.

See simple! :)

The rest of Avid.com is soo awesome, can't we just fix the fourms so they are just as awesome?

Interested in learning Media Composer? In NYC? I teach Media Composer classes tailored for reality tv assistant editors. http://joshluddeni.com [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 8 2012 3:33 PM In reply to

Adam Kranitz:

Will submit to the web engineering team for review.

Thanks Josh,

Adam, many months have past but still the issue with chrome has not been resolved. What's the status of this minor issue?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, May 2 2012 10:00 PM In reply to

• fredthe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 27 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 28
    • Points 385

OK, almost another month since the last post, and it's still broken.

Please fix this!  I'm just getting (back) into using MC, and its really annoying to have to launch IE everytime I need to look up something in the Forum.

• Wed, May 2 2012 10:10 PM In reply to

• joshdvx
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 551
    • Points 6,640

fredthe:

OK, almost another month since the last post, and it's still broken.

Please fix this!  I'm just getting (back) into using MC, and its really annoying to have to launch IE everytime I need to look up something in the Forum.

What they said. 

I volunteer to screen share into someone's fancy laptop at HQ and fix it.

• Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:38 PM In reply to

• halo_bone
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,735

Still broken.

I must say, the lack of caring about user experience (for going on 2 years) that has even the simplest of fixes, which end-users have literally volunteered to do, is pretty unassuring.

Haven't been holding my breath for this one...  But thought I'd bump the thread yet again and point out that reading the forums is annoyingly bugged in the world's most-used browser.

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 10:48 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,156
    • Points 217,355
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hi gang,

Just to narrow this down a bit to help Web Engineering:

I am seeing this problem reproduce on Google Chrome version 23.0.1271.97 m on Windows 7

I am not seeing this problem reproduce on Google Chrome version 23.0.1271.101 on Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

If your results are different from mine, reply here.

-AK

UPDATE: I am only seeing this problem on Google Chrome when LOGGED OUT of Avid Community. When logged in, it's fine. If you're logged in and still seeing the problem, let me know.

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 11:02 PM In reply to

• joshdvx
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 551
    • Points 6,640

I see it both when I'm logged in and logged out on both Mac and PC, Mac is Chrome 23.0.1271.101 on Lion.  PC is Chrome with Windows 7 (Probably around version 23 as well).

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller