Latest post Mon, Feb 14 2011 7:13 PM by FunkyDragon. 54 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (55 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 12 2011 2:27 AM

MC5 is a Ferrari

What I mean is, it is very powerful, but if you are not careful, you can get yourself into serious trouble. What I have learned that is if you are trying something new or newish, DO NOT just click on something or press a keystroke because it seems intuitive. Stop and research the correct way to accomplish your goal using the documentation and/or Avid forums. Especially with effects. This can be annoying, but over time, you will become a true power user and the software will reward you with excellent results.

With many programs, you can just wing it and press undo if things go awry. That is a bad approach for Media Composer. I have found it very easy to fall into a trap by being impatient and "taking a chance" on a mouse click or a command. When I slow down and do the proper research, everything proceeds well, and the program is fun and effective.

• Sat, Feb 12 2011 3:56 AM In reply to

Re: MC5 is a Ferrari

Great post AOC, and I generally agree with you about depending on undo to take shots in the dark. But there are two instances where undo is both extremely helpful and extremely useful.

The first is when you know what you're doing, but you accidentally press the wrong key or button, usually a neighboring one to the one you were after - also known as the "Aw, crap!" maneuver (some of us use a stronger word).

The other is when you've decided you don't like the direction you're going creatively, and you want to retreat to an earlier point in your timeline and rebuild differently. For that, you have 32 levels of undo and redo available from the edit menu > undo/redo list, which tracks your keystrokes or button pushes and lists the last 32 functions you have performed. If you use this menu option instead of CTRL + Z on the keyboard, you'll learn what function you just performed -kind of an instant glossary so it's a good way to get familiar with MC terminology, and to get a quick reference when there's an icon you're unfamiliar with.

The one big bugaboo about the "list of 32" is it's gone as soon as you close the bin that your sequence is in. So it's only useful on a live timeline.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Feb 12 2011 9:27 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

Larry, with MC 5 the undo level is gone from 40 (maybe 32 is NewsCutter?) to 100 IIRC, except for that I do agree with Your post, while as an italian I think I know better about Ferraris: very powerful and noisy, very dangerous in the wrong hands, but most of all very fragile, in this regard MC is much more unbreakable.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 12:18 PM In reply to

• RADIUS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 12 2010
    • Vibo Valentia (Italy)
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,690

Media composer 5, for me, is a Tir going in bottleneck.

With Avid Liquid I complete a wedding project in two day: in MC5 in a week....

SW: MC 6  on Seven professional 64 - Liquid 7.2 on Xp Sp3

HW:  Asus P6t  Cpu Intel i7 930  Ram DDR3 Kingston (4gb x3)  Vga Quadro Fx 1800  Audio Creative SB audigy 

Hd (sistem) Maxtor 320  Hd Western digita(1TBx4)

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 2:52 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,282
    • Points 219,150
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

RADIUS:
    With Avid Liquid I complete a wedding project in two day

How many years have you been "driving" with Liquid?

---------------------------------------

RADIUS:
    in MC5 in a week....

How many years have you been "driving" with MC?

----------------------------------------

Not so surprising that you are driving Liquid quicker!

Geeked

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 3:54 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Yeah, I bet for me it would take at least a week to do the same job in Liquid. Obviously it can do the work more quickly, as you attest, but because I don't know how to use it properly, I would take me longer.

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:13 PM In reply to

conleec:
    Yeah, I bet for me it would take at least a week to do the same job in Liquid. Obviously it can do the work more quickly, as you attest, but because I don't know how to use it properly, I would take me longer.

That's the thing, though.  You'd think that having never used Liquid before it might take you a few weeks or months to get good at it, but it doesn't.  In fact, I've never used Liquid (or even heard of it before Avid bought it), but just being in the aura cast by Liquid users on the internet has convinced me beyond the shadow of a doubt that it is superior in every possible way to every other editing solution that has ever existed or will ever be invented throughout history.

Because we all love a good car analogy (this thread is a perfect example), if Liquid were a car, it would be the fastest, most beautiful, most reliable, most efficient car in the world.  Everyone would drive it, there would be no accidents, and the car would emit no pollution, but rather it would run on the excess carbon in the atmosphere, and emit gold and diamonds from the exhaust.

In short, Liquid was the key to the future of the human race, and Avid foolishly threw it away.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:32 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,165
    • Points 23,235

give up on liquid IT IS NOT COMING BACK !!!!! I too switched from premiere pro a few years ago and there were things I thought I could not do without last week I just cut a scene for a feature trailer on pp cs 5 as a test 

and it worked well but it was like working with u matics I could not wait to cut the rest of the trailer on my avid as it was 5 times faster  repeat 5 times faster than pp cs5 and not one lock up and i was using avchd files to boot some times the grass is only greener in your memorey embrace the learning curve you will be happier in the long run!!! really

Geeked

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:34 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,165
    • Points 23,235

also mc is more like a corvette z06 blistering fast great looking built like a rock and american made

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

WWLD

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:36 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,165
    • Points 23,235

but I still want a enzo

Tom Pearson

WWLD

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:43 PM In reply to

Some people want a Corvette. Others want a Ferrari. I say: Why can't we have both?

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 5:54 PM In reply to

• RADIUS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 12 2010
    • Vibo Valentia (Italy)
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,690

Good point, Douglas!

Tomorrow, when I am expert in MC, I think I will not be as fast as in Liquid. Liquid is more fast then MC. in may operations.

I want MC 6,fast and easy.  It will be so?

Bye,  Douglas. Your tutorial are very useful.

SW: MC 6  on Seven professional 64 - Liquid 7.2 on Xp Sp3

HW:  Asus P6t  Cpu Intel i7 930  Ram DDR3 Kingston (4gb x3)  Vga Quadro Fx 1800  Audio Creative SB audigy 

Hd (sistem) Maxtor 320  Hd Western digita(1TBx4)

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 6:08 PM In reply to

There is nothing really to say about MC 6, as officially it does not yet exist, and any speculation about Avid future products, features or releases is prohibited on these Forums. Please read the terms of use carefully. Thank you for your cooperation on this matter.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 6:12 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,327
    • Points 53,490

Someone could probably make money selling product start-up splash screens that auto increment versions ever 6 months. Direct deposit accepted.

Actual product improvements not included...

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 6:17 PM In reply to

Hi,

RADIUS:
    when I am expert in MC, I think I will not be as fast as in Liquid. Liquid is more fast then MC. in may operations.

Bollocks.  Give me something to cut on a Media Composer and you edit the same thing on Liquid and I will beat you like a drum.  :)

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 4 (55 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller