Latest post Fri, Jul 1 2011 12:10 AM by Carlos Sardá. 167 replies.
Page 1 of 12 (168 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 13 2011 5:51 AM

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 8 2005
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

FCP X

Looks like apple just announced the new version of FCP labeled X!

New Features:
    New GUI

Background Rendering

64bit

Magnetic Timeline

Autosync of Audio/Video like Pluraleyes

No transcoding

All for $299!! Of course that's only for the editor! I'm sure the price would still be at $999 for everything else!

http://www.photographybay.com/2011/04/12/final-cut-pro-user-group-supermeet-liveblog/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PhotographyBay+%28Photography+Bay%29 

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/04/12/apple-unveils-64-bit-final-cut-pro-x/

Windows 7 System- MSI 880 mobo, AMD 1055t X6, 4gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 Hackintosh System- Gigabyte h55 mobo, i5 760, 4 gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 13 2011 12:11 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,249
    • Points 30,390

Re: FCP X

it's beta

it's not shipping until June

it will be buggy as hell for the first few releases

no mention that I see that the other Pro Apps will be available.  Maybe Apple will roll what they think is needed tin FCPX and kill the rest.

It will change the game again.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Wed, Apr 13 2011 12:33 PM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 9 2006
    • Southwestern part of US
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,715

From a pricing standpoint this could be major game changer for the competition.  A lot depends upon what exactly is included in FCPX.

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Apr 13 2011 1:11 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 640
    • Points 8,490

It looks to me like there's a few interesting things in there and then there's a few questionable things in there.  Not sure if this fits the bill for everyday working professional editors or is more a beefed up/upgraded version of imovie.  Hard to tell at this point.

MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 13 2011 2:17 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,319
    • Points 17,060

I've heard rumblings that FCP X doesn't include the ability to capture from tape. If that turns out to be fact, then I think Apple's shooting themselves in the foot with this release. Lots of questions, and not too many answers at this point.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 13 2011 5:09 PM In reply to

I've been following the Editblog on this. Background rendering, background ingest, as well as all of the media organization-related features seem like they will help a lot. It's great that the built-in color correction tools have been beefed up. The ability to link sound effects, music, etc to each other on the timeline looks like it might come in handy. The ability to slip audio by sample and not just frames is cool. The keyframing on the timeline, the ability to adjust parts of an image, all look very useful.

It's great that FCP can now (alledgedly) handle multiple codecs, resolutions, and frame rates on the timeline, though apparently this was only mentioned, not demoed.

My real question is editing itself. There's no viewer. How does that work? How do you do multicam editing with only one monitor? How can make good choices in selecting an incoming shot when you can't see the outgoing shot at the same time?

I'm not sure what to make of this magnetic timeline. I hope it can be turned off. It looks like it could be a double-edged sword. However, given how many FCP editors lose their *** over getting out of sync, I guess that's responding to the user base. It's one of those things I'll have to try for myself to see if I like it.

No word yet on the fate of the rest of FC Studio, tape ingest, how filters/plugins work, XML/EDL, etc.

Walter Biscardi has a nice post about it

Oh, and is anyone else tired of hearing the overused phrased "GAME CHANGER?" Seriously, Apple, Avid, and Adobe: please find a new cliche. You're starting to sound like sports stars who only know how to say "We just gotta take it to another level" and "we gotta play more physical."

Avid MC Soft 5.0.3.8 OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit CPU: Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2 GHz MOBO: Asus Sabertooth X58 GPU: PNY nVidia QuadroFX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 13 2011 7:01 PM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,850

As I've said before, being a professional editor and assistant editor, I hope for the best but plan as though the apocalypse is going to rain down on my project.  That being said, I hope that this new version of fcp is not what it looks to be, an upscale version of imovie aimed at people who have no editing experience at a pro level.  And, in case you're wondering what I mean by pro, it's a person who has the ability to edit then deliver a product based on someone else's delivery specifications, and the ability to deliver it again a year down the line by bringing all of the media back online.

I've found a recording of the announcement and I've watched a little bit of it, the rest I'll watch later.  But, so far, the parts I've seen have the guys from Apple talking about the features in a way that is aimed at non-professionals.  "You can move something down in the timeline without destroying it, and isn't that what we all want to do, move something without destroying our timeline."  I don't know about you guys, but I know how to move things around in the timeline without messing up my edit.  And compound clips, I just watched the explanation, isn't that how their nested sequences has been supposed to work since they intrododuced them years ago.  Wow, inline precision editor, I hope this means I can finally see both sides of my edit updating when I'm in JKL trim mode.

Ok, call me a pessimist, but it sounds like they fixed a whole bunch of things, named them something else and are introducing them as "new and innovative" features.

Yeah, call me a pessimist, I'm cool with that.  But this software is not aimed at pros, we are now incidental to what Apple wants to do.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 13 2011 7:05 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

We have always been incindental to what Apple wants to do.  We are all just living in their world!

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 13 2011 7:14 PM In reply to

gumbaedit:
    in case you're wondering what I mean by pro, it's a person who has the ability to edit then deliver a product based on someone else's delivery specifications, and the ability to deliver it again a year down the line by bringing all of the media back online.

gumbaedit:
    I don't know about you guys, but I know how to move things around in the timeline without messing up my edit.

Both of those made me smile.  Thanks, Rex.  Smile

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Apr 13 2011 8:30 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

Horrors! The Smart Tool Virus has now gone cross species!

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Wed, Apr 13 2011 8:33 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,249
    • Points 30,390

gumbaedit:
    But this software is not aimed at pros, we are now incidental to what Apple wants to do.

I always love the definitions of "pros" that are thrown out on discussions like this.  Is only Hollywood "pro"?  Or broadcast only "pro"?  So, if you use FCP 7.0 are you a pro or not?  And if you do the same thing on FCPX suddenly you are not a "Pro"?  About 80% of my 2010 revenue was doing FCP work (most post houses around here switched over).  Am I not a "Pro" because of that?  What about all thos post companies that have gone FCP...not "pro"?  Please.  But, I am on an Avid job tomorrow...guess I am safe! :-)

After just a brief sneal peek at a software we can tell that "this is not for Pros"?  Sounds like whistling in the dark to me.  Let's wait until June and see where this discussion brings us.

Scott Witthaus

• Wed, Apr 13 2011 9:10 PM In reply to

Don't you know, pros do one of two things. Cut DNxHD 36 and make EDL's, or work full rez and print to tape. If you do anything else, you're not a pro. Oh and if you're a pro, you know what a vision mixer is and still kind love them.

Everyone else is a dabbler whose business Avid does not need. Oh, if you hate the idea of built in scopes, you are pro too.

Also, oddly, anything above 1080p is not pro. And Prores 4:4:4:4 is not pro, even though the Arri Alexa (which is pro) records to Prores.

The AF100 is not nearly pro, even though it is 1080p. VariCams are pro.

.R3D isn't pro, but HDCAM and SR are VERY PRO. Decks are very pro. Firewire is not. USB is Fisher-Price.

RAID-0 is living dangerously pro. But backing up is also very pro.

What all this means is that pros really don't need anything past MC 3.0. So, according to them, Avid has wasted two versions of development money.

... Of course this written in sarcasm Stick out tongue, but with a little truth in jest Embarrassed.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Wed, Apr 13 2011 9:10 PM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,850

My nextdoor neighbor's kid cuts his dad's grass with a commercial grade Toro lawnmower and gets paid $20  a week to do it.  Does that make him a pro?  My dad has his own company and one of his mowers is not commercial grade, is he no longer a professional landscaper?

I've always said that the tool does not make the professional, the ability to deliver quality and to specifications repeatedly does.  So, please.

Based on the wording and the tone of the announcers, I don't believe that Apple is aiming at professional users (see my previous definition).  The key word being "aiming."  I said nothing about the quality of the tool, just Apple's intentions.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 13 2011 9:27 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,249
    • Points 30,390

BobbyMurcerFan:

Don't you know, pros do one of two things. Cut DNxHD 36 and make EDL's, or work full rez and print to tape. If you do anything else, you're not a pro. Oh and if you're a pro, you know what a vision mixer is and still kind love them.

Everyone else is a dabbler whose business Avid does not need. Oh, if you hate the idea of built in scopes, you are pro too.

Also, oddly, anything above 1080p is not pro. And Prores 4:4:4:4 is not pro, even though the Arri Alexa (which is pro) records to Prores.

The AF100 is not nearly pro, even though it is 1080p. VariCams are pro.

.R3D isn't pro, but HDCAM and SR are VERY PRO. Decks are very pro. Firewire is not. USB is Fisher-Price.

RAID-0 is living dangerously pro. But backing up is also very pro.

What all this means is that pros really don't need anything past MC 3.0. So, according to them, Avid has wasted two versions of development money.

... Of course this written in sarcasm Stick out tongue, but with a little truth in jest Embarrassed.

thanks for the clarity!  I feel much better now...but I am still not sure if I am a "pro"!  Wink

Scott Witthaus

• Wed, Apr 13 2011 10:07 PM In reply to

switthaus:
    but I am still not sure if I am a "pro"!

Professional.

Adjective
    1: worthy of or appropriate to a professional person; competent, skilful, or assured
    2:
    engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur

Noun.
    1:  a person engaged or qualified in a profession.
    2:  a person engaged in a specified activity, especially a sport, as a main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.
    3:  a person competent or skilled in a particular activity.

Any wiser now Scott? 

Strange... I had started to think from the sarcasim Pro was now related to choice of tools or workflows.  Good to have the dictionary confirm that we can all have completely different opinions and still all be "Pro's"  Wink

Page 1 of 12 (168 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller