Latest post Mon, Jul 18 2011 7:39 AM by Pat Horridge. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 17 2011 4:57 PM

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Difference between consolidate and decompose?

I understand that decompose creates new offline media for capture, but are there any other differences between the 2?

• Sun, Jul 17 2011 5:02 PM In reply to

Re: Difference between consolidate and decompose?

Consolidate isn't designed to create offline media.  It is used to move/copy media.  Similar to Decompose, it can move/copy only the segments of clips required to support a sequence.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Jul 17 2011 6:15 PM In reply to

The consolidation function is also useful for creating duplicate sets of clips and media that are linked to a different project than the one they were originally created in.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jul 17 2011 7:01 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

So consolidate and decompose are similar in the fact that they both seperate the unused media from a sequence - right?

Decompose I would use when finishing a tape based offline and preparing for tape capture to hi res media-right?

I could also use consolidate for an offline to online capture if I don't want the low res media taken offline-right?

• Sun, Jul 17 2011 7:14 PM In reply to

Consolidate a sequence: make a dupe of all media that is being used in the sequence (with handles if you want).

Consolidate master clips: make a dupe of the clip on a new destination drive.

Consolidate subclips: make a dupe of this part of the media on a new destination drive.

Decompose a sequence: generate offline clips for all media that is being used in the sequence (with handles if you want).

You can't decompose master clips.

Nnata:
    Decompose I would use when finishing a tape based offline and preparing for tape capture to hi res media-right?
    Absolutely. Performing a Batch Capture would sort of have the same result, except Decomposer gives you more control over the batch process (as you can select which clips, etc).

Nnata:
    I could also use consolidate for an offline to online capture if I don't want the low res media taken offline-right?
    I don't get the question. The low res media is not taken offline by itself. If you first consolidate, then delete the media, it would still be offline.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 17 2011 7:50 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Job ter Burg:
    Consolidate a sequence: make a dupe of all media that is being used in the sequence (with handles if you want).

Consolidate master clips: make a dupe of the clip on a new destination drive.

Consolidate subclips: make a dupe of this part of the media on a new destination drive.

Decompose a sequence: generate offline clips for all media that is being used in the sequence (with handles if you want).

You can't decompose master clips.

Nnata:
    Absolutely. Performing a Batch Capture would sort of have the same result, except Decomposer gives you more control over the batch process (as you can select which clips, etc).

Nnata:
    I don't get the question. The low res media is not taken offline by itself. If you first consolidate, then delete the media, it would still be offline.

Thanks for these great explanations. A lot clearer now. In regards to my last question: What I meant was if I consolidate a low res sequence, I am removing the unwanted media that does not reside in the sequence. So then I would be in a position to select the newly created media (with not unwanted media) and batch capture at a higher res....rather than capture full source tapes.

• Sun, Jul 17 2011 8:32 PM In reply to

Nnata:
    What I meant was if I consolidate a low res sequence, I am removing the unwanted media that does not reside in the sequence.
    Consolidating will not necessarily delete any unused media. And if you do select the option to delete originals, you still may have a lot of unused clips on board (that are completely unreferenced in the sequuence.

I personally don't consolidate that much anymore, as drive space is so cheap. If you do, I'd recommend consolidating onto an empty drive/partition, then hide/delete/remove the originals on your other media drives.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 18 2011 12:45 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,510
    • Points 63,905
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Nnata:

That would be decomposing, not consolidating.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Jul 18 2011 5:56 AM In reply to

hbrock:

Nnata:

That would be decomposing, not consolidating.

Well, you COULD use consolidate, but part of your offline media would be duplicated.
  • Mon, Jul 18 2011 7:39 AM In reply to

Decompose is useful in that you create a new sequence and new master clips with whatever handles you set.

You can the decide how to re-capture/re-import those clips rather than with just batch capturing/batch importing the sequence which will just prompt for the required tapes/files.

Consolidate is normally used to create a new sequence and subset of Avid Media files for media management (so you can blow away the rest) or moving to a different system.

Take care that not all media can be consolidated (re AMA and "foreign types") This skips those clips that link to media that can't be made into Avid media files and your consolidated sequence will still be linked to the original AMA'd media.

So with AMA media and a mixture of sources you may need to consolidate and then transcode to get a complete set of media. (I've made a feature request to have this as a single function)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller