Latest post Sun, Jun 13 2021 3:15 PM by John. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 14 2021 2:13 PM

• John
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 15 2012
    • Boise, Idaho
    • Posts 276
    • Points 3,325

processor not fast enough

Hello,

I am editing a sequencing in which I am starting to chroma key some background and now showing some yellow and red lines on the timeline indicating my processor is not fast enough.  Is there a fix to this or do I literally need a faster processor.  Here is shot of my specs.

Avid MC 2020 iMac 27-inch, Late 2012 Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C2037... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 14 2021 3:31 PM In reply to

Re: processor not fast enough

16GB is the bare minimum nowadays.

I recommend a min of 32gb and ideally 64gb or more.

And sub 3.0 ghz isn't a quick processor. I normally suggest 3.4 ghz.

But it's also worth checking how fast you media can be read from the drive.

What codec is you media in?

Is this linked media or Transcoded Avid media? 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, May 14 2021 3:37 PM In reply to

Hi,

What is the format/resolution of the footage? The larger the format or higher the resolution, the harder it will be for your system to play it.

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, May 14 2021 7:17 PM In reply to

• John
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boise, Idaho
    • Posts 276
    • Points 3,325

Thanks.  It has been transcoded.  How can I check how fast media can be read from the drive?  I suspect I need to upgrade to a new computer as this PC is a whole 5 years old.  Would like to find a way to finish this project with it as I'm working on a school owned computer and it could take a while to replace it.

Avid MC 2020 iMac 27-inch, Late 2012 Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C2037... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 14 2021 9:42 PM In reply to

John:
    It has been transcoded.

From what to what?

John:
    How can I check how fast media can be read from the drive?

It varies based on the speed of the processor, the speed of the drive, the project's format, and the resolution of the media. I don't know of anywhere you can plug those variables in and get a definitive answer.

It would help to know how your media is stored, what format the project is, and what resolution the clips are.

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, May 15 2021 9:43 AM In reply to

I think black magics drive speed test indicates what formats would be supported.

But you just need the mbps speed and then some maths.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

• Fri, May 21 2021 1:00 PM In reply to

• B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 21 2021
    • NL
    • Posts 2
    • Points 50

The speed (3.0GHz) has very little to do with how fast the CPU is.

The reason he gets this error is not because his i7 is even remotely to slow for what is required, and 16GB of RAM is way sufficient, depending on the size of your project/session, and even if it's not, win10 is quite capable of swapping to and from disk these days.

The cause of these errors is not the user's hardware, it is because avid has badly designed its software, and has been too lazy to fix its horrible coding fest.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43224910 <- Note how the CPU is performing below expectations because I had to downgrade its settings strictly... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 21 2021 6:05 PM In reply to

Not having any issues using chroma key on DNxHD footage on my 2013 iMac i7. Runs MC just fine.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 22 2021 12:15 AM In reply to

liefde:
    The cause of these errors is not the user's hardware, it is because avid has badly designed its software, and has been too lazy to fix its horrible coding fest.
    How do you know this?  Simple answer is you do not!

These forums are all about users asking for help from other users who help where they can.  Your post does not help the user who asked for the help or any other users that may subsequently find this thread whilst looking for a solution to a similar issue. 

There are better and more effective places to vent your current frustration.  

Andrew

• Sat, May 22 2021 8:41 AM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    Your post does not help the user who asked for the help or any other users that may subsequently find this thread whilst looking for a solution to a similar iss

True, but that said. Avid never publishing any performance numbers and performance measuring methods for MC on supported hardware, except the cooperation with Chris Bove, hasn't been any help either. IMHO this status quo keeps these discussions going, also feeding idea's of covering up (past) bad design choices.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sat, May 22 2021 9:06 AM In reply to

This Avid gives some info on the hardware needed based on the codec being used. 

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en365919

There are other dowloadable pdfs on CPU specs as well as readmes that give details on RAM.

It's important to note that lots of RAM is important forcing the OS to use virtual memory is no solution during playback.

Even with an SSD drive there is a big impact swooping RAM in and out.

Even at HD effects heavy work will need more than 16gb RAM.

If you have a supported graphics card real-time performance of effects can be improved.

So having a fast supported GPU, plenty of RAM, fast access to the media drive, a fast processor and enough cores are key parts of improved real-time performance. 

• Thu, Jun 10 2021 9:46 PM In reply to

• John
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boise, Idaho
    • Posts 276
    • Points 3,325

Just back from vacation and I went to this article.  Very helpful  Thanks!  I've ordered another 16GB to make this Dell 32.  See if that helps.

• Fri, Jun 11 2021 7:40 AM In reply to

More RAM will help but its just a 4 core CPU and running at only 2.7GHz so that will limit you.

I'm working with 20 cores at 3.1GHz and 128GB RAM and even I get stuff I have to render!

• Sun, Jun 13 2021 10:51 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 612
    • Points 7,810

Doubling the ram will certainly help but the gpu is more probably the culprit here too. That graphics card is simply too old and with too little vram for much serious FX work. Cpu is mainly codec decode encode, e.g playback/playout media; gpu/vram is for realtime fx, e.g. layers of real time fx compositing. The processor warning can indicate a defficiency in either or both , since Avid has a distributed processing paradigm. I never have any problem here with a solitary i7 6 core, on a laptop playing all forms of media up to 4K.

MC with Symphony option, 2020.12, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 13 2021 3:15 PM In reply to

• John
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boise, Idaho
    • Posts 276
    • Points 3,325

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm hoping that upping the RAM will get me through this project.  All footage is from either a Sony Camcorder, Canon Rebel t41 or an iphone 10.  The background footage being chroma keyed in is so far from stuff I've filmed.  I've come to realize that most of the issues I've had stems from not consolidating or transcoding properly.  Once the RAM arrives and I've started up again, I'll post progress or issues..

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller