Latest post Wed, Jul 21 2021 11:00 PM by Philip Kapadia. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 20 2021 3:53 PM

Avid MC version for a Mac 10.10.5 or 10.12.6

Dear Avid Community members,

I need to get for a few days the latest version possible of Avid Media Comp on my home laptops which are a Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite and a Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. As I haven't been using Avid Media Comp for the past 4 years (I am used to the 7.0.4 version :), this would be to train myself a little for an upcoming editing job (+ color grading) in a company using the latest version of Avid...

The evaluation versions available on the website are of course too advanced for my laptops so I was wondering what closest versions I could get easily considering my old systems.

Also, is the lastest version of Avid much different from the 7.0.4 one ?? :)) Especially in terms of color grading tools ?

Any inputs would be very very appreciated !

I thank you in advance for that :)

All the best

• Wed, Jul 21 2021 9:39 AM In reply to

Re: Avid MC version for a Mac 10.10.5 or 10.12.6

Misscochary:

Dear Avid Community members,

I need to get for a few days the latest version possible of Avid Media Comp on my home laptops which are a Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite and a Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. As I haven't been using Avid Media Comp for the past 4 years (I am used to the 7.0.4 version :), this would be to train myself a little for an upcoming editing job (+ color grading) in a company using the latest version of Avid...

The evaluation versions available on the website are of course too advanced for my laptops so I was wondering what closest versions I could get easily considering my old systems.

Also, is the lastest version of Avid much different from the 7.0.4 one ?? :)) Especially in terms of color grading tools ?

Any inputs would be very very appreciated !

I thank you in advance for that :)

All the best

Hello, Refer to this: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en267087

As far as Yosemite is concerned, here is a direct download link for MC v8.9.2: [LINK from download center]. You'll first need to make sure all previous versions of MC|First and Media Composer (if any) are deactivated and uninstalled. 

Side note: The reason why Yosemite has fallen off of the approval list is due to high-end performance needs of professional editors, plus Apple has ended support for it. (So in general it is getting less and less safe to use both Yosemite and El Capitan on the internet. But understand that it is still entirely possible to download, install and run the latest MC onto your Yosemite machine. Just expect it to behave a little choppy in some playback scenarios.

Re colour grading and correction, I think Symphony gained shape based colour correction in 2018 (I don't know the exact date) But that's it. Nothing new. 

Here is a great tutorial on MC Symphony: https://youtu.be/rWyWRTXkX1k

Ryzen/GTX H/W (I know) [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 21 2021 12:21 PM In reply to

Thank you so much Philip ! You might have saved my career here Big Smile

One last naive question, if I may. Is the MC v.8.9.2 similar to the latest 2020.8 in terms of settings/keyboard and basic editing tools ?

Thanks again and good day to all !

• Wed, Jul 21 2021 1:14 PM In reply to

Misscochary:
    Is the MC v.8.9.2 similar to the latest 2020.8 in terms of settings/keyboard and basic editing tools ?

There's not an easy answer to this. MC 2019.x introduced changes to the user interface that some users have found difficult to adapt to. The main change was making workspaces a much larger part of the workflow than it was before. If you're the sort of person that doesn't react well to change, going from v8.9.2 to v2020.6 might be a big adjustment.

Personally, the new interface felt like an evolution to me, and it took me no time at all to get used to it.

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jul 21 2021 3:34 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,268
    • Points 16,145
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Hi Misscochary. 

Technically speaking, the highest "qualified" version of Media Composer for the Yosemite machine is 2018.7. After that, Avid removed Yosemite from the list for performance reasons. That being said... If you're just talking about getting it loaded onto a machine and not worring so much about performance, then you could in theory load the latest version of 2018 on it, which is 2018.12.15.

Your Sierra machine is totally approved for MC 2018.12.15 as well.

Now... All of that said... I have also loaded the latest 2021.6 onto my old Mojave-based laptop and it runs great. So if you're able to upgrade your machines -- if not to Mojave then minimally to High Sierra -- then you can run the latest 2021 series without hassle. 

Many systems. Windows 7, Windows 10, and all flavors of macOS. Juts assume I'm running everything ;) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)   WWND (What Would Norman Do?)   #AllisWell

• Wed, Jul 21 2021 11:00 PM In reply to

camoscato:

Misscochary:
    Is the MC v.8.9.2 similar to the latest 2020.8 in terms of settings/keyboard and basic editing tools ?

There's not an easy answer to this. MC 2019.x introduced changes to the user interface that some users have found difficult to adapt to. The main change was making workspaces a much larger part of the workflow than it was before. If you're the sort of person that doesn't react well to change, going from v8.9.2 to v2020.6 might be a big adjustment.

Personally, the new interface felt like an evolution to me, and it took me no time at all to get used to it.

No worries Missocohary 

Absolutely agree with Camoscato. Some people like to complain. 

I love your signature Pixel Monkey! Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Ryzen/GTX H/W (I know) [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller